I mentioned a little while ago, I’ve opened a FormSpring account so you can all ask me the things you really want to know but don’t want me to know that you want to know. Got it? Awesome.
The very first question I got asked on FormSpring was this…
What would be your 6 tips to a new blogger starting out or advice ?
Damn good question. I have no freaking idea why you asked me. I have only been blogging ‘properly’ for about seven months and I still don’t know what I’m talking about most of the time. But I’m gonna answer anyway. So here you go. The slightly extended answer to what I said on FormSpring anyway.
- Get a good template. Something that stands out and reflect your personality. There are heaps of free ones out there, and Blogger has a section where you can play around with them, but a professional one is cheap and muchly awesome. *Ahem* Shamelss plug ahead- check out Blog Designs By Sarah, who created the template for RRSAHM. She rocks hard.
- Get to know your RSS. No, that’s not me swearing at you. RSS stands for… look, I don’t know. But if you’re doing what I used to do, and clicking around to different blogs to read everyone’s posts, do yourself a favour and click this link. It’ll take you to your Google reader. Don’t be alarmed if there is 3461 UnRead posts, just hit ‘Mark All As Read’ and start fresh. You will thank me in the future. Yes, yes you will.
- Be generous with your linky love. Link to people, blogroll them, grab their buttons, mention them in your posts where relevant, without expecting it in return. People will notice and they’ll love you for it.
- Comment, comment, comment. And, when you’re damn sick of catchpas and boxes- comment some more.
- Blog regularly. At least, ya know, two or three times a week.
- Fake it till you make it. Everyone started off with one Follower. Never write “I know no one is reading this”, or no one ever will be. Put your hand up for things, link up to things, join a forum like Aussie Mummy Bloggers. Never think your blog is too small for ‘something like that’, whatever it is. And every post, write it like there is a 1000 people reading. Because one day, there might be.
- And, of course, have fun. Yeah, I know, that’s seven. But I had to include “Have fun” or I would have sounded sour and jaded. OK? OK.
And one more very important point I almost forgot (And yes, that’s eight. Whatever. Not that anyone except you is counting. Ner.)
- For the love of all that is holy, turn off your catchpas. The little word verification thingie…? Unless you’re getting a stack of spam every day, you really don’t need it yet. Catchpas just make it difficult for people to comment on your blog. And you totally do not want that.
So there you have it, folks.
Six seven eight tips from a blogger who doesn’t really know what’s she talking about, about how to write a blog, when I’m fairly certain mine is just one big fluke. Eh. That’s four minutes of your life you won’t get back. Ah well. You- maybe not you, personally, but someone- asked for it. More FormSpring to come in the very near future. I know, I know, you’re just salivating with anticipation. Yay!!